Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Janmashtami


The ‘most complete avatar’ of God was born today. The street below me is thronged with merry crowds visiting the only local ‘tourist spot’, the Ram-Sita Mandir, and it’s awash with bright many-coloured lights, and the junk food vendors are making hay (mercifully they have spared me the loudspeakers blaring the same old bhajans they have been playing for nearly three decades now).

I have been musing. In the whole vast Hindu pantheon, Krishna is my favourite god. And not just for his balgopal roop, I was not telling the whole truth there (the last lines of that blogpost). I am thinking of Hari, and Janardan, and Ananta, and Gopal, and Jagannath and Keshav and Vishwaroop and Achyuta. But most of all I am thinking of Shyam Muralidhar Purushottam, Lord of Radha, the Ultimate Lover, of whom we mere mortals, despite our most strenuous and earnest efforts, can at best be only pale shadows, and that only for a  fleeting moment in time, to only a few…


Ask if you want to know what I have been thinking.

1 comment:

Shilpi said...

Hullo Suvro da, I read your latest on your bemused blog and thought I might as well send the comment I'd written for whimsy and kept warm for a week....here goes:

I saw the silver swings being put together by the craftsmen 'round one stretch of the road on the day and couldn't help wishing I was elsewhere. And while talking on the phone, a loudpspeaker started blaring so loudly and so suddenly and so utterly tunelessly I jumped out of my skin. I don't even know whether it was a bhajan.

I'd found it curious and had the lurking feeling that you didn't mention his "Lord of Radha, the Ultimate Lover, the charmer of the gopis" avatar - aka Shyam Muralidhar Purushattam - for some reason and on purpose but I couldn't guess your reasons, for your Mahabharata post. You'd mentioned Meera's Krishna though, which I thought was close like a brush of a feather.

Krishna and Meera, Krishna's relationship with Arjun and Arjun's knowing Krishna and of course Radha and Krishna are some of the parts about Krishna that stay...

I'm sure too that in different ages, a particular mortal who comes and goes isn't a 'pale shadow' of any God. He-is-who-he-is and that's not for a fleeting moment in time.

Krishna comes to my thoughts (and used to) in different ways and I was wondering yet again and rather quizzically with what Pupu wrote about Krishna in her concluding lines for her book review post and here you mention him as your 'favourite God' and 'the most complete avatar'.

I like this post of yours, which contains many moods...

Edited addition: Somehow, and not to be pesky, I feel that with other bits, glints, hints and gestures and so on, Krishna with both the Shiva and Rudra avatars feels more complete. I've been having the thoughts of the Gods hovering around.