Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dennis the loveable 'menace'


I have always been fond of comic strips, and Dennis the Menace has ranked consistently high on my list of favourites. The precocious child is not only always good for a laugh, but again and again a thousand times over he forces you to take a good hard look at yourself – through his own naughtiness and folly, he keeps telling you ‘You are just like me, only maybe too timid, too boneheaded or too lazy to express yourself the way I do!’ And he makes you think that the world might have been a much better place if more of us were as honest and frank and lively and loveable as he is.

One of my perennial favourites is when he asks his mom and finds out that his dad and she and he were born in places far away from one another – ‘Funny how we got together, isn’t it?’ And another where the long-suffering neighbour Mr. Wilson tells his wife ‘What frightens me, Mary, is the thought that that boy could grow up to be the President of the United States!’ And all those numerous occasions when he has given his parents and neighbours and ‘Ol’ Margaret’ and the parish priest and shop attendants red faces or left them gasping at his careless insouciance. As I saw in the strip in my newspaper this morning: A couple have come visiting, and he takes one look at the lady’s skirt and exclaims ‘Hey Dad! I thought you said she wears the pants in this family?’

If you cannot laugh with Dennis, you are a bore. If you dismiss him as merely a child, you are a very shallow person. And if you merely laugh and do not take a few moments off to ponder, well, God probably didn’t give you much of a brain…

8 comments:

Subhanjan said...

On a personal note, I love to see the comic strips of Peanuts. I find them very simple, precise, and hilarious. And my favourite comics is Asterix. Not only is it rich in drawings, but very much elite in sarcasm.

Joydeep said...

To all those who love comic strips (and take it seriously!), Dennis is a lovable young brat who never ceases to amaze us with his frank questions and an extremely honest take on life. I would like to mention another comic strip which has been my all time favourite for years now- "Calvin and Hobbes". Calvin is a restless, extremely imaginative six year old who has a stuffed tiger, Hobbes, as his only friend. Hobbes, however, comes to life in the sole presence of Calvin, and they gang up to pursue a string of misadventures. What makes this comic strip different from the rest is the creator's take on numerous political and cultural issues in the most satirical and intelligent fashion. This comic strip has challenged issues as diverse as politics, parenting, T.V. addiction, primary education and public decadence. Add to that Calvin's razor-sharp wit and profound creativity (he regularly daydreams in class, imagining himself to be a dinosaur, or a space traveler, or a super-hero, while his teacher gets to be the villain), and you shall have the finest comic strip ever made, albeit in the most black-humorous way.

Thanks,
Joydeep

Shilpi said...

Suvro da,
I qualify as being a 'bore'. I never cared much for Dennis the Menace although with the liners that you've put in, and on looking at the strip heading this post - I can't quite figure out why I didn't. I never read it carefully enough nor do I remember any of the ones that I did happen to glance over through the years. Come to think of it - I'd say I'm shallow as well. The comic strip didn't captivate me in a visual way either...Hoom.

So that's that. But I'm glad you put up this post though. I got to grin some on reading the liners and on observing the header. Somehow they seem funnier and more meaningful here than they did in the newspaper. No, I don't care or know how to explain that.
Thank you.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

To Joydeep:
Oh, Calvin is one of my great favourites too, but the humour there is much darker and more biting - you cannot always laugh lightheartedly over it!

to Shilpi:
I hope you will give Dennis a second chance, a closer look.

Sayan Datta said...

Even I have loved Calvin more than I can ever love Dennis. And as Sir rightly pointed out the humour in Calvin is dark, cutting and sarcastic with an intention to wound and sometimes leading to a cynical, bleak, pessimistic, albeit realistic view of the world we live in. It will make you laugh as well as concerned.
'Hagar the Horrible' is another comic strip I have always enjoyed. Although 'Tintin' of course ranks highest on my list.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Hello, this post seems to have clung to the topmost notch among the most-read ones in this blog for a long time now, so can't I expect more comments on the subject? It's been almost three years since I put it up...

DEBANIK said...

Thinking as I type,
here, at random, are a few of my cherished Dennis moments
:-


>>
" I sure could use a hug, Mrs Wilson ; - and a cookie !"


>>
(perched on Mr Wilson's shoulder, whispering importantly into his ear)
" Ive been trying not to upset your peace, Mr Wilson. How am I doing ?"

>>
" Do they wear dress clothes in heaven or is this a church thing ?"

>>
" No mom, we cowboys don't eat food. We eat grub "

>>
(to his parent's guests at dinner after saying he wasnt hungry and would ski dinner AND THEN getting ravenous on knowing there was ROAST BEEF)
" But Dad was saying we'd have a couple of stuffed shirts for dinner tonight. "

>>
(gently breaking bad news at Mr Wilson's doorstep ; clad in a towel)
" Can't stay long, Mr Wilson. Am s'posed ta be havin' a bath "

>>
(with mud all over him)
" The great thing about jumping puddles is that if you don't make it, its still fun "

>>
" gotta go see the doc, mom. My teacher said my laugh was in-fec-shus "

>>
" oh, stop it, Joey !
Ya know that if they said its good for ya, its gonna taste bad "

>>
"Mom, I'm gay "

Aritra Chatterjee said...

Dear Sir,
I was going through your posts and I noticed this one regarding comic strips. I love Dennis. There was even a television sitcom earlier. But another old favourite of mine is Calvin. Do take a look at this http://bookriot.com/2012/02/06/sixteen-things-calvin-and-hobbes-said-better-than-anyone-else/
With Best Wishes,
Aritra Chatterjee